English For Effective Communication
NOTE: THIS COURSE IS NOT BEING RUN FOR THE INTAKE AUGUST 2016.
‘Your body talks’. Non-verbal signs and gestures add meaning to the words to make
communication effective and complete.
Course duration : 5 months
For whom : Secretaries in Business, Clerical officers, professionals in Administration, English for Beginners etc.
2 Tutorials : 10 % of marks, Exam: 90 %
Mode of learning : self-learning, Open Distance Learning (ODL)
Unit 1 Getting started:
- Your essential language tools
- Other useful resources to help you improve
Unit 2 The ABC of business communication:
- Understanding business communication
- The need for care
- How to write effectively
- The ABC of effective business communication
Unit 3 Which English?
- The varieties of English
- The main differences between British and American English
- The importance of being coherent
Unit 4 Standard business letters:
- Standard business letters: common elements
- Asking for information
- Answering a request for information
- Making and handling a complaint