Objective and Rationale:
The aim of this program is to enable the learners to earn a high level, specialist qualification, while also acquiring a skill set and expertise that could benefit any individual. In this program, learners will acquire the basic tenets in social work. There are multiple avenues in social work which require social workers to take the time to understand the conditions of their clients and work to improve their conditons in effective and safe ways. They may need to assist people with everyday issues like personal, family, and relationship issues. Sometimes they may be involved in helping clients with disabilities, diseases, or social issues like substance abuse or umemployment. Families with domestic conflicts can also turn to social wrokers for relief and guidance during difficult times. Social workers are thus trained in areas such in a particular service or setting, like child, family or school social work.
General Entry Requirements:
- EITHER “Credit” in at least three subjects at School Certificate or General Certificate of Education O-Level or equivalent and “Pass” in at least two subjects at Higher School Certificate or General Certificate of Education Advanced Level or equivalent;
- OR An appropriate equivalent Diploma/Certificate/Foundation Courses approved by the Open University of Mauritius.
- Learners who do not qualify under options I and II may register for Foundation Courses offered by The Open University of Mauritius. Those who complete the Foundation Courses successfully will be eligible for registration for the relevant degree programmes.
- OR Qualifications awarded by other universities and institutions, which have been approved by the Open University of Mauritius as satisfying the minimum requirements for admission.
- Mature candidates having a strong background of work experience and uncertified learning may be assessed for entry to programmes through the Accreditation of Prior learning (APL) and the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL). Please consult the General Rules and Regulations of the Open University of Mauritius for further details