This programme is designed for learners who wish to upgrade their competencies for work in library set ups. It has multi-entry points at Certificate (Year 1), Diploma (Year 2) and Year Three levels. Exit points are also flexible at Certificate, Diploma and Undergraduate levels. .Consisting of a blend of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) and contact-based modules, this programme focuses on both theoretical and applied aspects of librarianship.
The Research Methodology and Dissertation components in the final year aim at enabling learners to undertake research in any area of library studies which is meaningful for them. For those already working in a library this is an opportunity to explore certain issues for reflective praxis and professional development.
General Entry Requirements:
- EITHER “Credit” in at least three subjects at School Certificate or General Certificate of Education O-Level or equivalent and “Pass” in at least two subjects at Higher School Certificate or General Certificate of Education Advanced Level or equivalent;
- OR An appropriate equivalent Diploma/Certificate/Foundation Courses acceptable to the Open University of Mauritius.
- Learners who do not qualify under options I and II may register for Foundation Courses offered by The Open University of Mauritius. Those who complete the Foundation Courses successfully will be eligible for registration for the relevant degree programmes.
- OR Qualifications awarded by other universities and institutions, which are acceptable to the Open University of Mauritius as satisfying the minimum requirements for admission.
- Mature candidates having a strong background of work experience and uncertified learning may be assessed for entry to programmes through the Accreditation of Prior learning (APL) and the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL). Please consult the General Rules and Regulations of the Open University of Mauritius for further details.