Aim and Rationale:
The BA (Hons) Communication, Media and Journalism is an interdisciplinary programme that combines courses in Communication, Media, Advertising, Public Relations, and Journalism. The programme provides students with an appropriate balance of theoretical knowledge and practical experience on how communication and media actually work. On the practical side, the programme focuses on developing key skills in communications and audio-visual productions via hands- on experience for entry level careers in the audio –visual industry, public relations, advertising or journalism. On the theoretical side, it provides students with necessary skills to work in a communication and media related profession.
The programme will endeavour to broaden understanding of current and emerging communication technologies and to provide practical knowledge and some hands-on experience in media and to prepare learners for a challenging career within the media, advertising, marketing and public relations industry.
General Entry Requirements:
- EITHER “Credit” in at least three subjects at School Certificate or General Certificate of Education O-Level or equivalent and “Pass” in at least two subjects at Higher School Certificate or General Certificate of Education Advanced Level or equivalent;
- OR An appropriate equivalent Diploma/Certificate/Foundation Courses acceptable to the Open University of Mauritius.
- Learners who do not qualify under options I and II may register for Foundation Courses offered by The Open University of Mauritius. Those who complete the Foundation Courses successfully will be eligible for registration for the relevant degree programmes.
- OR Qualifications awarded by other universities and institutions, which are acceptable to the Open University of Mauritius as satisfying the minimum requirements for admission.
- Mature candidates having a strong background of work experience and uncertified learning may be assessed for entry to programmes through the Accreditation of Prior learning (APL) and the Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL). Please consult the General Rules and Regulations of the Open University of Mauritius for further details.